National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Opportunities
This page, created by Robyn Angliss, Deputy Director of MML, is intended to guide educators and students through the process toward pursuing opportunities at NOAA. Follow the links for a variety of perspectives of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration.
From the main NOAA page, you can surf to…..
NOAA Fisheries rebuilds and maintains sustainable fisheries promotes the recovery of protected species, and protect and maintain the health of coastal marine habitats (also called the National Marine Fisheries Service/NMFS)
NOAA Research conducts research, develops products, and provides scientific information and leadership toward fostering NOAA’s evolving environmental and economic mission (also called the Office of Ocean and Atmospheric Research/OAR)
The National Weather Service provides weather, hydrologic, and climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, adjacent waters and ocean areas, for the protection of life and property and the enhancement of the national economy. NWS data and products form a national information database and infrastructure which can be used by other governmental agencies, the private s ector, the public, and the global community.
The National Ocean Service (NOS) works to balance people’s use of coastal areas with conservation of the Nation’s coastal and estuarine resources, measures and predicts the impacts of climate change, collects and distributes water-related information such as hydrographic survey data, and monitors tides and water levels to ensure sage marine transportation. NOS develops the national foundation of coastal and ocean science, management, response, restoration, and navigation.
The National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS) provides and ensures timely access to global environmental data from satellites and other sources to promote, protect, and enhance the Nation’s economy, security, environment, and quality of life. To fulfill its responsibilities, NESDIS acquires and manages the Nation’s operational environmental satellites, provides data and information services, and conducts related research.
Opportunities for students via NOAA
- Alaska Fisheries Science Center internship program: http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/internships/overview.htm
- Northwest Fisheries Science Center internship program (see Sept. 2000 issue of Fish Matters): http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/newsletters/fishmatters/sept2000.pdf
- Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program: http://fosterscholars.noaa.gov/
- National Sea Grant: http://www.nsgo.seagrant.org/index.html
- John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowships: http://www.seagrant.noaa.gov/funding/knauss/knauss.html
- NOAA Education Program: http://www.education.noaa.gov/
- NOAA Volunteer Opportunities: http://www.csc.noaa.gov
General Opportunities for Students in Marine Biology
- NSF’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program, Division of Ocean Sciences: http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/reu/reuoce.htm
- Semester at Sea Program: http://www.semesteratsea.com
- Minorities in Marine Science Undergraduate Program (available at selected colleges nationwide; the link to the program at Western Washington University is: http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~mimsup/
Opportunities for Teachers
- NOAA Teacher at Sea Program: http://www.tas.noaa.gov/about.html
- National Marine Educators Association: http://www.vims.edu/nmea
Career and Job Sites
- Information on careers in NOAA: http://www.careers.noaa.gov/
- Marine Careers.net. This site was developed by the Virginia Institute of Marine Biology Sea Grant Program. http://www.vims.edu/adv/ed/careers/
- American Fisheries Society: http://www.fisheries.org/
- Strategies for Pursuing a Career in Marine Mammal Science: http://www.marinemammalogy.org/strat.htm
- Careers and jobs in marine biology and oceanography: http://www-marine.stanford.edu/HMSweb/careers.html
- Careers in Oceanography, Marine Science & Marine Biology: http://hopkins.stanford.edu/careers.htm
Additional NOAA Programs
- NOAA’s Ocean Exploration Program: http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov
- Monitoring marine mammals using bioacoustics: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/vents/acoustics/whales/bioacoustics.html
- Movie about dive recorder research on Steller sea lions: http://nmml.afsc.noaa.gov/alaska/sslhome/tech.php