Status of Stocks and Multispecies Assessments
2015 Stock Assessments for 2016 Fishery Recommendations
Stock Assessment result summaries and archive
Completed 2016 Pacific cod CIE reviews
Members of the Alaska Fisheries Science Center's (AFSC) Stock Assessment and Multispecies Assessments Program are responsible for determining the condition of fisheries resources in the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone using data collected by other AFSC scientists and developing strategies for managing those resources. Their research focuses on updating information on population dynamic trends, estimation of biological yields, and management strategies (as presented in annual assessments). Members of our staff have contributed to the development of the National Standard Guidelines.
In late 2000 the Resource Ecology and Fisheries Management (REFM) division formed the Fishery Interaction Team (FIT). The primary responsibility of the team is to investigate interactions between fisheries and endangered Steller sea lions (SSL).
To view and print these documents, you must install
Adobe Acrobat Reader
freeware. Adobe also offers
for the visually disabled
Recent Publications, Poster Presentations, Reports & Activities
- Evaluating the efficacy of trawl exclusion zones by estimating local Atka mackerel abundance and movement patterns in the central and eastern Aleutian Islands.
McDERMOTT, S. F., V. HAIST, and K. M. RAND.
2016. Evaluating the efficacy of trawl exclusion zones by estimating local Atka mackerel abundance and movement patterns in the central and eastern Aleutian Islands. Mar. Coastal Fish. 8:334-349. https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19425120.2015.1135218 Online.
- Joint dynamic species distribution models: a tool for community ordination and spatio-temporal monitoring.
THORSON, J. T., J. N. IANELLI, E. A. LARSEN, L. RIES, M. D. SCHEUERELL, C. SZUWALSKI, and E. F. ZIPKIN.
2016. Joint dynamic species distribution models: a tool for community ordination and spatio-temporal monitoring. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 25:1144-1158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/geb.12464 Online.
- Examining Two Epifaunal Invertebrate Communities Using Functional Traits and Environmental Variables in and Around Barrow Canyon in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas
By: KIMBERLY RAND, ELIZABETH LOGERWELL, BODIL BLUHM, HÉLOÏSE CHENELOT, SETH DANIELSON, KATRIN IKEN, LEANDRA de SOUSA
Conference: Ocean Sciences Meeting, New Orleans, LA, Feb 2016
(2016 poster, .pdf, 1.72 MB) Online.
- Technical Subcommittee of the Canada–U.S. Groundfish Committee
By: TOM WILDERBUER
Conference: Western Groundfish Conference (19th), Newport, OR, Feb 2016
(2016 poster, .pdf, 279 KB) Online.
Groundfish Stock Assessments for 2016
Staff Participate in the PICES 2015 Annual Meeting
- Ecosystem Modeling for Fishery Sustainability: A Case Study for the Gulf of Alaska
See the publications and poster databases for additional listings.